For Visitors

Home

What To Do

Where To Stay

Where To Eat

Travel Tips

Contact Jenolan

Site Map

Schools, Students and Research

Read This First!

Newspaper Clippings

 

 

Newspaper Clippings

So much can be learnt of th ehistory of a place by reading old newspaper clippings about it. Courtesy of Jenolan Caves Historical & Preservation Society member Robert Lindsay here are a selection of newspaper clippings

Lithgow Mercury January 28th 1898 - Caretakers cottage

Lithgow Mercury February 18th 1898 - Electric Light

Lithgow Mercury March 24th 1898 - Camping Ground

Lithgow Mercury May 6th 1898 - Accident at the caves

Lithgow Mercury May 13th 1898 - Laws regarding vandalism

Lithgow Mercury June 3rd 1898 - Lease of Caves House

Lithgow Mercury June 8th 1898 - Conditions at the caves

Lithgow Mercury June 24th 1898 - Wallace's Guest House

Lithgow Mercury August 5th 1898 - Petition for postal service & school

Lithgow Mercury August 12th 1898 - Caves House Gardens

Lithgow Mercury November 4th 1898 - Completion of Trickett's survey

Lithgow Mercury January 27th 1899 - Vandalism

Lithgow Mercury March 31st 1899 - Discoverer of Jenolan Caves

Lithgow Mercury April 7th 1899 - Discovery of Jenolan Caves

Lithgow Mercury June 9th 1899 - Improvements to the Caves

Lithgow Mercury August 11th 1899 - Gem of Jenolan open

Lithgow Mercury August 25th 1899 - Launch of Tricketts Guidebook

Lithgow Mercury September 8th 1899 - Coming of spring

Lithgow Mercury September 26th 1898 -Jubilee open to public

Lithgow Mercury October 10th 1899 - Coach from Rydal

Lithgow Mercury October 13th 1899 - Alternate Accomodation lease

Lithgow Mercury November 3rd 1899 - Entertainment at the caves

Lithgow Mercury November 17th 1899 - Fees for cave tours

Lithgow Mercury December 29tth 1899 - Hansard - Privatisation

Lithgow Mercury April 7th 1916 - New Cave At Jenolan, Additions and new arrangements at Caves House

Lithgow Mercury January 2nd 1918 - Opening of Orient Cave

Lithgow Mercury October 24th 1924 - How Jenolan Caves were formed

Lithgow Mercury January 26th 1926 - Resort developments