Lake Cathie Lake Cathie
 
 
History of the Village

This area is first referred to in the journal of Annabella Bowswell, niece of Major Archibald C. Innes, a prominent and wealthy early settler who owned much land in Northern NSW. She lived in the Innes mansion on the shores of Lake Innes from 1843 - 1848, and she records riding across the bar at Cati Creek on more than one occasion. She also mentions meetings with local Aborigines, and there are many Aboriginal sites still to be seen along this coastline.
There was no true settlement here until the 1930ís, although hunters and fishermen were active in the area and there were one or two fishermanís huts.
Market gardening was begun on the south side of the creek in the 1920ís but the owners did not live here. The first permanent dwelling was built by Bob Pead on the land he owned on the south side; built high on the hill it commanded a fine ocean view, and later it became the Post Office. Others followed suit and a small community developed on the south side, reached by a rough road direct from the highway.
Early in the 1950ís a telephone service was installed; followed by electricity in 1957 and mains water shortly afterwards.
The first bridge across the estuary, a four span timer bridge, was built by the community effort in 1957, and this opened up the north side for development, setting the pattern of the village as we see it today.
Not until 1958 did the village finally get its Post Office.
The change in spelling of the name was required by the Postmaster General to avoid confusion   with other Cattais in New South Wales, but the name is still pronounced Cat-eye.

Amenities and Attractions
Lake Cathie, with a resident population of only around 2000, can provide everything visitors need for a quiet
beachside holiday in the country.
Extensive shore reserves give access to safe estuarine beaches where children can play or swim in shallow water. The largest, Foreshore Reserve, has shelter shed, toilets, electric barbecues with sheltered picnic tables, childrenís play equipment and a beach shower. Aqua Reserve, on the south side, has similar amenities but with fireplaces.
Jabiru Reserve, west of the bridge, has a boat ramp with vehicular access and plenty of shade trees.
The creek is popular with fishermen, as are the many kilometres of ocean beach north and south of the estuary. The ocean beach near the entrance is patrolled in the Christmas holiday period, but at other times surfers are advised to seek advice at the surf centre before venturing into our surf. No vehicles at all are allowed on the Lake Cathie beaches between Middle Rock and the four wheel drive access just north of the village, to ensure the safety of beach users. Vehicle owners 
wishing to travel on the beach beyond these points will need to obtain a Hastings Council permit.
Bushwalkers will enjoy the large nature reserves which extend inland from our beach north of the village. Parts of these reserves are covered in Christmas bells in the summer. Please remember   all plants are protected by law.
Bowls and tennis are available in the village, and Port Macquarie Golf Course is only eight  kilometres north along Ocean Drive. For those wishing for a trip on the water, canoes may be hired in the village, and larger craft in North Haven. Our bowling club is our recreation centre,and can provide meals for all the family.
Lake Cathie is home for a number of koalas, and they are regularly seen around the club. A reserve to the rear of the club is dedicated to them, and the community has planted many koala food trees to replace fallen timber. In this, our special Koala Reserve, you may sit quietly and watch the wildlife, but please, donít bring your dog.

This information has been provided by Lake Cathie Tidy Towns Committee, with community co-operation