[Brisbands] [Band List] [Members & Instruments] [Gigs] [Discography] [References]
This 5 Minutes were an interesting part of the Brisbane Punk scene which developed in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The mostly three piece played at every major venue at one time or another. The band was a regular item at the X-Roads Club, at the Atcherley Hotel, and later at The Purple Hearts Scooter Club, at the Australian National Hotel.
The original music tended towards a more "jazzy" or "funky" feel. Tony could also come across all "moody", if he chose. The group played interesting cover versions of Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel's Come Up and See Me (Make me smile....), Lulu's To Sir With Love, and Elvis Presley's Occupation GI Blues.
The 7" Single How?/Reaction Time reached number 81 on the 4ZZZFM Hot 100 for 1983. It reached number 80 in 1984.
After playing about most venues for a couple of years, the lineup started to change often. Various members continued making music in such bands as DogFishCatBird, then Small World Experience.
Members & Instruments
Other members included:
- Tony Moore: vocals, guitar
- Tom McKeon: vocals, bass, vocoder/synth
- Greg Gilbert (aka "Des Johnson"): drums
- Guy Petersen: guitar, vocals
- Greg Wadley: bass
- Ian Wadley: trumpet
- Pat Ridgewell: organ
- Martin Mackerras: sax
Like many other bands, This 5 Minutes often appeared at private functions in hired halls in order to get around the limits of Brisbane's Hotel venues.
As Greg also played drums for The Pits, these two bands often played together at the same events.
Notable gigs included support for Teardrop Explodes at University of Queensland.
They also played at Griffith University, Wooloongabba Blind Hall, CPA Hall, Camp Hill School of Arts Hall, Atcherley Hotel, Australian National Hotel, Indooroopilly RSL Hall, 4ZZZ Joint Efforts, and Caxton Street Hall in Paddington.
- How? released 1983Includes: How?, Reaction Time
- Swing Between The Flags Released 1982Includes: Sometimes(the night time), Complications, No One Deserves To, Changes, Wonderworld Arcade, Lou In Green
- What We Did On Our Holidays Compliation, released early 1983Includes: To Sir With Love, One To Ten
- Queensland In Quarantine Compilation, released 1984Includes: Sunday Afternoon, Coronation Time
- Know Your ProductInstitute of Modern Art Exhibition 11-27 September 1986
Curated by Ross Harley
- Out Of The Unknown: Brisbane Bands 1976-1988A Time Off Publication, 1988
by Doug Hutson and Gavin Sawford
Back to ToxicoH ome Page